Kevin T. Coughlin
Partnerkcoughlin@cmg.law 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Direct (973) 631-6001
Fax (973) 267-6442
88 Pine Street, 28th floor
Wall Street Plaza
New York, NY 10005
Phone (212) 483-0105
Fax (212) 480-3899
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
88 Pine Street, 28th floor
Wall Street Plaza
New York, NY 10005
Kevin Coughlin is a Founding Partner and former Managing Partner of Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP.
His practice extends to numerous areas, including insurance and reinsurance, toxic torts, products liability, professional liability, directors and officers, financial institutions, construction, antitrust, commercial and corporate litigation, environmental and bad-faith litigation. He regularly counsels insurers and reinsurers worldwide on a variety of issues relating to commercial insurance and reinsurance. Kevin also defends insurance companies and reinsurance companies in coverage litigation and arbitrations in numerous jurisdictions throughout the United States and Europe. In the commercial area he represents multinational clients in disputes arising out of commercial transactions, including non-US transactions with implications within the United States. He also counsels non-US companies doing business in the US.
Kevin was a founding member of the insurance services group at McElroy Deutsch & Mulvaney LLP. He was a partner at that firm from 1987 until he resigned in March 2004 to start the firm of Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP.
- Representation of an Insurer in relation to claims for coverage arising from the largest anti-trust action in US history.
- Counsel to a major insurer in connection with its insurance issues and litigation arising out of the World Trade Center terrorist attack.
- Lead counsel to an insurer in coverage litigation involving pollution at two mines in Western United States and Canada.
- Lead counsel for 50 foreign insurers in a complex multi-national insurance and antitrust dispute arising out of US asbestos litigation.
- Involved in numerous insurance and reinsurance disputes in the US and Europe arising from litigation against financial institutions and accounting firms.
- Seton Hall University (J.D., 1980)
- Villanova University (B.A., 1977)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2003)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1992)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2011)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1981)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (1981)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York (2003)
- State of New Jersey (1981)
- State of New York (1981)
Awards and Honors
Chambers USA Guide 2019 - Litigation: Insurance (2018 - 2019)
U.S. News - Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers in Insurance Law - New York Area (2006 - 2019)
Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage (2006 - 2021), (This list is published by Super Lawyers. Their selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.)
Assumption College for Sisters Family Life Award Recipient (2018)
International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers (2007 - 2019)
Profiled in Legal Media Group Guide to the World's Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers (2006 - 2018)
Secretary, District X Ethics Committee for Morris and Sussex Counties (1987 - 1990)
Member, American College of Coverage & Extracontractual Counsel
Member, International Bar Association
Member, Irish Legal 100
Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
Member, Morris County Bar Association
Member, Morris County Chamber of Commerce, Morris Business Cabinet
- When The Call To The Bullpen Came, Coughlin Midlige & Garland Was Able To Close The Deal
Our insurance company client was mired in a decade long litigation in a multi-site, multi-million dollar lawsuit seeking coverage for...
- March 24, 2020 Insurance Implications Of COVID-19 Pandemic
March 24, 2020
The Covid-19 virus is affecting almost every business and every aspect of life. State governments across the United States are...
- March 13, 2020 Coughlin Midlige & Garland Attorneys Named to New Jersey 2020 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars List
March 13, 2020
Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP is pleased to share that ten of the Firm's attorneys have been selected to the...
- August 15, 2019 6 Coughlin Midlige & Garland Partners Recognized in 2020 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
August 15, 2019
Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP is pleased to announce that 6 of the firm's partners have been selected by their peers for...
- May 3, 2019 Coughlin Midlige & Garland Named as an Environmental Leader by CIANJ and COMMERCE Magazine
May 3, 2019
Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP is honored to be selected as a finalist in the first annual Commerce and Industry Association...
- April 25, 2019 Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Two Coughlin Midlige & Garland Attorneys and One Practice Group
April 25, 2019
Coughlin Midlige & Garland is proud to share that Kevin Coughlin and Heidi Minuskin, along with the Firm's Insurance practice, have been recognized...
- March 12, 2019 Coughlin Midlige & Garland Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Super Lawyers 2019 List
March 12, 2019
Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP is pleased to share that eight of the Firm's attorneys have been selected to the 2019 Super Lawyers...
- January 17, 2019 Kevin Coughlin and Thomas Cohn Recognized in U.S. News - Best Lawyers
January 17, 2019
Coughlin Midlige & Garland Partners Kevin Coughlin and Thomas Cohn have been recognized in U.S. News - Best Lawyers in Insurance...
- May 23, 2018 Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP Receives Recognition in Chambers USA 2018
May 23, 2018
Two Coughlin Midlige & Garland partners and one practice group have been recognized in Chambers USA 2018’s legal directory published...
- October 31, 2016 Irish Legal 100
October 31, 2016
Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP and Kevin T. Coughlin, Esq. (Irish Legal 2015 inductee) warmly congratulate our distinguished Partner, Timothy...
- June 16, 2016 New York Federal Bankruptcy Court Declines To Follow Zeig And Instead Holds That The Underlying Limits Must Be Actually Paid Before Third- Party Excess Policies Are Triggered
June 16, 2016
On June 7, 2016, New York Federal Bankruptcy Judge Stuart M. Bernstein made a significant decision in an adversary proceeding,...
- April 15, 2016 Fourth Circuit Holds CGL Insurer Must Defend Policyholder For Information Posted On The Internet
April 15, 2016
On April 11, 2016, a partial panel of the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Travelers Indemnity Co. of Amer....
- March 14, 2015 Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP is pleased to announce that 20 of its attorneys were selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers® and New Jersey Rising Stars®
March 14, 2015
New Jersey Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and...
- October 16, 2014 Under Attack—The Deluge of Cyber Attacks and Industry Response
October 16, 2014
As the headlines reveal on an almost daily basis, cyber attacks and other data breaches have significantly increased in the...
- March 3, 2014 New York Trial Court Denies Sony's Claims Against Primary CGL Insurers to Pay For Defense Costs Related to Cyber-Attack Litigation
March 3, 2014
On February 21, 2014, a New York trial court (Hon. Jeffrey K. Oing, J.S.C.) in Zurich Amer. Ins. Co. v....
- February 26, 2014 An Overview of Key New Jersey Decisions: (1) Insurer Insolvency in Long Tail Claims; and (2) Insurance Coverage issues involving Sexual Molestation Claims
February 26, 2014
A discussion of recent New Jersey case law dealing with the treatment of insolvent insurers in the allocation of defense...
- February 19, 2014 New York Court of Appeals Opinion on Reconsideration – K2 Investment Group, LLC v. American Guarantee & Liability Insurance Co.
February 19, 2014
On February 18, 2014, the New York Court of Appeals released its eagerly-awaited opinion on reconsideration in K2 Investment Group,...
- November 19, 2013 New Decision Requiring Exhaustion of Underlying Insurance - Quellos Group LLC., v. Federal Insurance Company
November 19, 2013
On November 12, 2013, the Court of Appeals of the State of Washington, became the latest appellate court to find...
- October 10, 2013 Total Recall—Current Coverage Issues in Product Recall Claims
October 10, 2013
Products ranging from food items and pharmaceuticals to baby carriages, toys and television sets are routinely recalled by retailers and...
- October 3, 2013 Are You Really Exhausted? Negotiating Settlements for Less than Policy Limits - Recent Trends and Decisions
October 3, 2013
Issues relating to excess insurance are often at the forefront of twenty-first century insurance claims and/or underwriting disputes. In years...
- October 4, 2012 Delaware Supreme Court Unanimously Affirms Superior Court Ruling Granting Summary Judgment in Favor of American Guarantee & Liability Insurance Company
October 4, 2012
On September 7, 2012, the Delaware Supreme Court, sitting en banc, unanimously affirmed the Opinion of Delaware Superior Court Judge,...
- October 13, 2011 Developments in Cyber Liability Claims: How Strong is Your Coverage Firewall?
October 13, 2011
Over the past decade, the world has become integrated and interconnected by the developments in technology and the ability to...
- October 5, 2011 Hydraulic Fracturing: Tolerate, Regulate or Litigate?
October 5, 2011
Energy sector industry experts predict that hydraulic fracturing, aka “fracking” or “hydrofracking,” will provide the United States, among other countries,...
- June 21, 2011 U.S. Supreme Court Overturns the Largest Class Action Certification in the Wal-Mart Sex Bias Action
June 21, 2011
In the largest class action suit filed in U.S. history, the U.S. Supreme Court held in a June 20, 2011...
- October 14, 2010 Negotiating Less than Policy Limits Settlements
October 14, 2010
Consider the following situation: A corporation’s employees file a class action against the corporation, seeking damages resulting from alleged rights...
- October 8, 2010 What’s Hot and What’s in Store in the World of Claims
October 8, 2010
The United States has long had a reputation for being a litigious society, limited only by the imagination of the...
- October 19, 2009 A Changing of the Guard
October 19, 2009
The global economic crisis, together with the platform of “change” on which Barack Obama rose from first-term Senator to President...
- October 18, 2007 A Change in Climate: The Chilling Effect of Global Warming
October 18, 2007
In August 2005, Hurricane Katrina ripped through Louisiana and Mississippi leaving behind a wake of destruction that still affects the...
- October 10, 2007 Preservation and E-Discovery from a Litigation and Risk Management Perspective
October 10, 2007
The ubiquitous use of electronic media as a means of communications has had a powerful impact on all aspects of...
- November 6, 2006 The Emerging Stock Options Backdating Scandal and Strategic Approach to Claims for Coverage
November 6, 2006
In recent months, another corporate scandal in American business has become the subject of increasing media scrutiny and investigations by...
- October 6, 2005 Increasing Use of Bad Faith and Extracontractual Claims in Multi-National Disputes
October 6, 2005
In disputes between policyholders and insurers, policyholders frequently include causes of action for bad faith and extracontractual claims. The utilization of...
- October 11, 2018 Kevin Coughlin and Suzanne Midlige Speak at CD's Annual US Legal Update in Munich
On October 11th, Kevin Coughlin and Suzanne Midlige spoke to guests at the Firm's annual US Legal Update in Munich, Germany. The seminar covered...