William J. Metcalf
Of Counselwmetcalf@cmg.law 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Fax (973) 267-6442
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
William J. Metcalf is Of Counsel in the Firm’s Insurance and Reinsurance Services and Commercial Litigation Groups.
With close to 30 years of experience, Bill’s practice includes representing insurers in coverage and extra-contractual liability litigation in all property/casualty and professional insurance lines. Bill also has significant expertise representing corporate and commercial clients in complex and high exposure litigated matters as well as in the defense of professional liability/E&O claims.
Bill joined Coughlin Midlige & Garland at its inception in March 2004 before forming his own boutique litigation firm in February 2010. Bill rejoined Coughlin Midlige & Garland in May 2021.
REPRESENTATIVE TRIALS & ARBITRATIONS
- Represented fax distributor and subsidiaries in breach of contract and breach of warranty action against foreign manufacturer. Second-chaired three-week trial and conducted multiple direct and cross examinations of fact and expert witnesses. Clients awarded $10.3M.
- Defended self-insured third-party administrator of claims in three trials as first-chair against breach of contract and negligence claims seeking damages in excess of $1M. First trial ended in mistrial; second trial ended with deadlocked jury; third trial resulted in unanimous jury verdict for client.
- Defended foreign technology company in $53M breach of contract and breach of warranty action filed by telecommunications provider. Presented plaintiff’s case over two days to mock jury. Second-chaired five-week trial and conducted multiple direct and cross examinations of fact and expert witnesses.
- Defended clearing firm in parallel NYSE arbitration and NJ state court consolidated action involving claims of $25M arising out of purchases of collateralized mortgage obligations. Second-chaired 20-day arbitration involving 30 fact and expert witnesses. Panel awarded claimants zero.
- Defended 50 multinational insurers in a complex insurance, antitrust, and bad faith case involving hundreds of millions of dollars of coverage for Australian and US asbestos claims.
- Represented London insurer in action involving claims for conversion, breach of contract, and breach of agency agreement against MGA.
- Represented London insurers in $40M reinsurance dispute arising out of film financing agreement including affirmance of motion to dismiss before Second Circuit.
- Represented insurer in significant asbestos coverage litigation involving simultaneous actions in state court and bankruptcy court.
- Defended law firm and individual attorneys against professional malpractice claims arising out of failed commercial transaction with clients.
- Defended third-party administrator of claims on behalf of E&O insurer in breach of contract and negligence action filed by New Jersey municipality seeking $5M in damages.
- Defended national aftermarket vehicle product supplier on behalf of E&O insurer against breach of contract, fraud, and consumer fraud claims seeking damages in excess of $1M brought by New Jersey car dealership arising out of consumer class action filed against dealership.
- Defended third-party administrator of claims on behalf of E&O insurer in negligence, fraud, and bad faith action seeking damages in excess of $1M in connection with defendant’s handling of workers’ compensation claim.
- Defended corporation on behalf of E&O insurer against claims of discrimination and tortious interference seeking damages in excess of $500K.
- Represented generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in $18M breach of contract, tortious interference, and antitrust action against supplier of critical ingredient utilized in line of cold products and branded Rx competitor.
- Defended Canadian subsidiary of U.S. accounting firm in securities class action with $50M in alleged damages arising out of fraudulent inventory of a Canadian gold mining company.
- Represented California businesses in breach of warranty, breach of contract, and fraud action against manufacturer of computer systems.
- Duke University School of Law (J.D., 1991)
- Montclair State University (B.A., 1988)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1991)
- State of New Jersey (1991)