Thomas E. Cohn
Partnertcohn@cmg.law 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Direct (973) 631-6078
Fax (973) 267-6442
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Thomas Cohn is a Partner in the Firm's Commercial Services Group.
Tom focuses his practice on investment real estate and counsels clients on the planning, formation and growth of business entities.
Tom also concentrates on the purchase, sale and financing of commercial real estate, as well as mortgage lending on behalf of lenders and borrowers, secured financing and title issues. He frequently handles banking issues and workouts, real estate tax appeals, commercial leasing and environmental approvals. He also has extensive experience in counseling on the conversion of properties to condominiums and cooperatives and in commercial contract negotiations for the sale or purchase of businesses. Tom's practice also focuses on Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 tax-deferred exchanges of real property.
Prior to joining Coughlin Midlige & Garland, Tom was a Partner at Stern & Kilcullen, LLC.
- Represented related sellers in the successful sale of 3 large apartment complexes in Short Hills, Morristown and Highland Park, NJ, for a total of $150 million.
- Successfully represented the Seller in a multi-building package, including a large apartment complex located off of the Garden State Parkway (approximately 900 units); total of 4 properties sold for a price in excess of $210 million.
- Represented a New Jersey family in the purchasing, selling and refinancing of multiple apartment complexes in Middlesex County, New Jersey.
- Represented family members for multiple generations in all real estate matters, including sales, finances, and tax appeals.
- In November 2018, Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP successfully completed a substantial transaction for our client, a popular and historic New Jersey hotel and venue, in a complex real estate agreement worth nearly $4M. The transaction took place between our client and a large technology company headquartered in New Jersey. The Agreement states that our client will refurbish the hotel, in partnership with the technology company. The assisting party, in return, is guaranteed special room rates for a three year period, provided by the hotel after renovations. Both parties consented to the final terms, noting, "thanks to all for your time, effort and partnership to complete the agreement," and that they were thankful for our firm’s “regular availability and valuable counsel”.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 1980)
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., magna cum laude, 1976)
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit (1985)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1980)
- State of New Jersey (1980)
Awards and Honors
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America©(2008-2023) Their selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.)
New York Magazine, Top Attorneys in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut (2008 - 2014)
Member, New Jersey Supreme Court Task Force on Dispute Resolution (1996-1999)
Member, New Jersey Supreme Court, Special Civil Part Practice Committee (1987-1999)
Past President (1987-1990) and Lifetime Board Member, New Jersey Property Owners Association
Founder, Member of Board of Directors and current Secretary, Joshua Kahan Fund
(a philanthropic organization fighting to cure pediatric leukemia and improve the quality of life for pediatric cancer patients and their families)
- Historic New Jersey Venue Agreement
In November 2018, Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP successfully completed a substantial transaction for our client, a popular and historic...
- August 29, 2022 12 Coughlin Midlige & Garland Attorneys Recognized in 2023 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
August 29, 2022
Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP is pleased to announce that 12 of the Firm's attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the...
- August 15, 2019 6 Coughlin Midlige & Garland Partners Recognized in 2020 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
August 15, 2019
Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP is pleased to announce that 6 of the firm's partners have been selected by their peers for...
- January 17, 2019 Kevin Coughlin and Thomas Cohn Recognized in U.S. News - Best Lawyers
January 17, 2019
Coughlin Midlige & Garland Partners Kevin Coughlin and Thomas Cohn have been recognized in U.S. News - Best Lawyers in Insurance...