Patrick K. Coughlin
Partnerpcoughlin@cmg.law 350 Mount Kemble Avenue
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
P.O. Box 1917
Morristown, NJ 07962
Patrick Coughlin is a Partner in the Firm's Insurance and Reinsurance Services Group.
He concentrates his practice on complex insurance coverage litigation and counseling. Patrick represents domestic and international insurers in a wide range of insurance coverage disputes arising under commercial general liability, commercial auto liability, professional liability, mortgageholder’s liability, product recall, umbrella liability and excess liability policies. He has extensive experience advising clients on claims handling issues and strategy in both litigated and non-litigated matters, including coverage disputes involving products liability, personal injury, professional liability and long-tail asbestos and pollution claims.
Prior to joining Coughlin Midlige & Garland, Patrick was an Associate in the Insurance Coverage Group at Connell Foley LLP and served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Jerome M. St. John, J.A.D. (ret.).
- Member of team serving as national coordinating counsel for insurer that issued primary and excess policies to multi-national pharmaceutical manufacturers, distributors and retail pharmacies in connection with claims arising from the opioid crisis in the United States.
- Represents insurers in coverage litigation arising from NFL concussion class action.
- Represented insurer in litigation and arbitration proceedings arising from regulatory action involving policyholder’s servicing of federally-insured reverse mortgages.
- Regularly represents insurers pursuing additional insured coverage or defending claims by putative additional insureds in connection with underlying personal injury litigation.
- Seton Hall University (J.D., cum laude, 2014)
- Editor-in-Chief, Seton Hall Circuit Review
- Member, Interscholastic Moot Court Board
- Georgetown University (B.A., cum laude, 2011)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (2014)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (2017)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (2017)
- State of New Jersey (2014)
- State of New York (2015)
Awards and Honors
New Jersey Rising Stars, (2020-2021), (This list is published by Super Lawyers. Their selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.)
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America©(2021-2023) Their selection methodology is available here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.)
- August 29, 2022 12 Coughlin Midlige & Garland Attorneys Recognized in 2023 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
August 29, 2022
Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP is pleased to announce that 12 of the Firm's attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the...
- April 13, 2022 Coughlin Midlige & Garland Attorneys Selected to 2022 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
April 13, 2022
Coughlin Midlige & Garland LLP congratulates nine of our attorneys who have been selected to the 2022 Super Lawyers and...
- June 13, 2019 Ohio Court of Appeals Waffles on Scope of Duty to Defend Inquiry
June 13, 2019
In a pair of recent decisions issued in the same case, the Ohio Court of Appeals has grappled with the...